So, I said I’d post a tutorial type chat about what I did with the TopShop skirt I got for £2 in Sue Ryder. Here it is….I realise that the pictures may be a little rubbish. I’ll try to get some better ones when there’s natural light.
I made a little sewing bucket bag combinng the stitchy fabric with some left over bits of lime green wool felt fabric an upholsterer friend has given me (I’m making a tunic thingy with the rest of it, it’s a work in progress but promising so far) and some buttons recently culled from a scarf I got from another charity shop ages ago which I plan to tart up soon. So all materials are upcycled, not planned, but nice to know.
It was quite easy to make, all done with running stitch although you might want to be less, ahem, rustic.
I thought I’d write it down in case you want to have a go.
There’s a pocket that goes around the whole bucket so I started with that, cutting the bucket side deep enough to allow me to fold over to create the pocket. I used some of the fabric to bind the top edge of the pocket and then decided to make a drawstring top so cut another rectangular piece of printed fabric, hemmed the top with a channel and then stitched it to the top of the bucket.
Then I stitched the pocket to the side by making arbitrary channels down it so there are wide and thinner outside pockets. I then did the side seam to give me a tube.
The base is the sleeve of a woollen cardigan I bought a while ago and chopped a bit off. I never throw any scraps away as my family will testify. I cut a circle and did a running stitch around it so I could ease it into the base of the cylindrical side. I pinned it first so I could get the size right. then I whip stitched it in place, right sides together and turned the bucket right way round.
The handle is a tube of green fabric top stitched and fixed to each side of the bucket with buttons for decoration. The drawstring is made from a turned over strip of stitchy fabric, again top stitched. Buttons were attached to each end to stop it disappearing inside the channel.
A little Stitch This label to finish et voila! I have to admit to not being sure about thiso ne until the very end but I’m glad I stuck with it. Weird colour combo but the buttons seemed to pull it together. If I made another I’d put a stiffer base in and I’d do my hems better but hey, I’m on holiday. I laugh in the face of raw edges.
I hope you like this, if you make one similar I’d love to see it. All in all it took a couple of evenings to do. Have a go!!!